What is Power BI?
Power BI is a collection of software services, apps, and connectors that work together to turn your unrelated sources of data into coherent, visually immersive, and interactive insights. It is a business analytics tool developed by Microsoft which provides interactive visualizations with self-service business intelligence capabilities. This tool supports a large number of data sources ranging from Excel spreadsheets, cloud services like Azure SQL Database and SharePoint, Streaming Data, and on-premises SQL Server instances.
Components of Power BI
- Power BI Desktop: It’s a Windows desktop application that enables you to develop deep, actionable insights for a broad range of scenarios.
- Power BI service: This is an online SaaS (Software as a Service) service (also known as Power BI online).
- Power BI mobile apps: These are mobile applications available on Windows phones and tablets, as well as for iOS and Android devices.
Advantages of Power BI
- Rich Personalized Dashboards: Power BI provides a 360-degree view for business users with their most important metrics in one place, updated in real time, and available on all of their devices.
- Interactive Reports: It allows you to explore and analyze data from multiple sources and gain insights for better business decisions.
- Secure Publication: It enables you to publish reports securely to your organization and setup automatic data refresh so everyone has the latest information.
How to Use Power BI in Web Development?
To use Power BI in web development, you can embed Power BI reports, dashboards, and tiles into an application by using Power BI Embedding. This feature allows developers to embed visual analytics in an app and gives the users powerful data exploration capabilities.
Steps to use Power BI Embedding:
- Create a workspace in Power BI to hold the dashboards, reports, and datasets.
- Import or create your reports in Power BI.
- Get the necessary details like Workspace ID and Report ID to embed the reports.
In conclusion, Power BI is a powerful tool for turning data into actionable insight. It’s flexible, accessible and its embedded capabilities make it a must-have tool for web developers and administrators who want to provide their users with interactive and up-to-date data visualizations.