What is Webfont Loader?
How Does Webfont Loader Work?
The Webfont Loader gives you added control over the font loading process by providing events to notify you when fonts have loaded or failed to load. These events can be used to avoid FOUT (Flash of Unstyled Text) or FOIT (Flash of Invisible Text).
Below is a basic example of how to use the Webfont Loader to load a Google Font:
Key Features of Webfont Loader
The Webfont Loader offers several features to improve your control over web fonts:
– Font Events: It provides events for when fonts are loading, loaded, or if they fail to load.
– Font Classes: It adds CSS classes to your elements so you can style your text while fonts are loading.
– Timeouts: It allows you to set timeouts for font loading to prevent long waits.
Benefits of Using Webfont Loader
Utilizing the Webfont Loader can significantly improve the user experience on your website:
– Control over Flash of Unstyled Text (FOUT) or Flash of Invisible Text (FOIT): It gives you more control over font loading, which can help you avoid or better handle FOUT or FOIT.
– Performance Optimization: It can group repaints, significantly improving the performance.
– Compatible with Multiple Font Providers: You can use it to load fonts from Google Fonts, Typekit, Fonts.com, and other font providers.
In conclusion, the Webfont Loader is a powerful tool for web designers and developers that offers significant control over the font loading process. With its ability to handle different font providers, control FOUT and FOIT, and optimize performance, it’s a must-have for any web design toolkit.